Haris Gačanin received his Dipl.-Ing. degree in Electrical engineering from the University of Sarajevo in 2000. In 2005 and 2008, respectively, he received MSc and PhD from Tohoku University in Japan. He was with Tohoku University from 2008 until 2010 first as Japan Society for Promotion of Science postdoctoral fellow and later, as Assistant Professor. In 2010, he joined Alcatel-Lucent, now Nokia, where he was a Department Head at Nokia Bell Labs until 2020. From 2017 until 2020 he was adjunct professor at University of Leuven (KU Leuven). Currently, he is a chair professor at RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany.
His professional interests are related to broad areas of digital signal processing and artificial intelligence with applications in communication systems. He has numerous scientific publications and invited/tutorial talks. He is a Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE Vehicular Technology Society and an Associate Editor of IEEE Communications Magazine, while he served as the editor of IEICE Transactions on Communications and IET Communications. He is senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineering (IEICE) and acted as a general chair and technical program committee member of various IEEE conferences.
- He is a recipient of several Nokia innovation awards
- IEICE Communication System Study Group Best Paper Award (joint 2014, 2015, 2017)
- The 2013 Alcatel-Lucent Award of Excellence
- the 2012 KDDI Foundation Research Award
- the 2009 KDDI Foundation Research Grant Award
- the 2008 Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Fellowships for Foreign Researchers
- the 2005 Active Research Award in Radio Communications, 2005 Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2005-Fall)
- Student Paper Award from IEEE VTS Japan Chapter
- the 2004 Institute of IEICE Society Young Researcher Award
- He was awarded by Japanese Government (MEXT) Research Scholarship in 2002